In part one of this article we looked at different types of Sporting Parents. Here are a few more……see if you recognise anyone you know. Republished by Blog Post Promoter Tweet
Tag Archives | Cycling
OK. Let’s talk about how to develop world class coaches. Grab a piece of paper. On one side of the paper, write down the characteristics of a great coach. Does your list include any or all of the following: Outstanding communicator Visionary Leader Innovator Negotiator Conflict resolver Media manager Public relations genius Team developer People [...]
Coaching is creativity. To the successful coaches of the future, creativity will be a core coaching skill: right up there with communication, passion, empathy, commitment, the ability to engage athletes and sports specific technical skill. But what does it mean to be creative and to coach creatively. And to coaches who are not naturally creative, can they learn to be? [...]
I was recently asked to talk to a group of students about high performance sport. We discussed all the “usual” topics: talent identification, sports science, elite coach development and sports medicine. One of the students asked me, “Is there a difference between Medicine (as in general practice medicine) and Sports Medicine as it exists in [...]
The concept of Talent Identification – TID for short - makes sense. Do some standardised testing and screening of lots of kids, find the ones who can run faster, run further, jump longer, stretch better than the rest and bingo- you found talent! It all grew out of the now ”mythical” talent identification systems of the old Eastern [...]
The Greatest Assistant Coaching Article Ever Written (i.e. because we think it’s the only one): 50 of the best Tips on how to be a World Class Assistant Coach.
Behind every great head coach is a great assistant coach. This article presents 50 tips on how to be a great assistant coach with tips and ideas contributed by some of Australia’s leading coaching brains.
Leadership in sport is something about which everyone has a view but few understand. As leadership in sport has evolved we have seen the philosophy of leadership shift from centralised (i.e. the head coach and captain) to decentralised (i.e. leadership teams, leadership groups etc). Where is leadership heading in sport? Answer…..There wont be any…that is, leadership will be driven by each individual in the team with each person taking full responsibility for their actions and inactions. This article discuss sports leadership and challenges coaches, players and sports administrators to look at their current model of leadership with the aim of changing it in the future.
There is nothing new about integrating the Mind and the Body to realise successful sports performance. However, what is new is integrating Mind and Body in all aspects of sports coaching and athletic performance every day. This article discusses Sports Psycho – Physiology and challenges athletes, coaches, sports scientists and sporting organisations to reassess how they go about applying the integrated Mind-Body concept in their daily athlete training environment.
Where is Sports Coaching heading? Where will it be in 2030? What will the average coach be doing everyday on pool deck or on the court or at the track or on the field? This article looks at the Future of Sports Coaching and suggests that if you take a moment or two to consider where the world is heading, then you will also see where coaching will be in 20 years.
Pick My Brain (Search)
- Excelsior: I used to think that toughness training was doing ...
- mgreb: Whenever I start feeling low in energy or belief, ...
- Wayne Goldsmith: Thanks James. With coaching, like so many things,...
- Excelsior: Thanks Wayne, resonates strongly with me. I have r...
- Wayne Goldsmith: Thanks for the "fan-mail". If one coach changes ...
- A Piece of String is Twice as Long as it is from one end to the middle. July 11, 2012
- Coaching without Periodisation November 15, 2012
- Five World Wide Trends in Sport which you ignore at your peril. November 15, 2012
- Sports Coaching in 2030 – Future (coach) Shock – Where will Sports Coaching be in 2030? January 5, 2012
- The Biggest Question in Coaching: How do I get this generation of athletes to work hard? January 30, 2011
- The Commitment Continuum. April 4, 2013
- High Performance Sports Systems – The Non System System. March 27, 2013
- Creative Coaching: Teaching coaches to be Creative and Innovative. March 27, 2013
- 10000 hours to make a champion??? What rubbish! March 27, 2013
- Coaching without Periodisation – Part Two March 27, 2013
- Coach education
- Coaching Tips
- Commonwealth Games
- Crawford report
- Football World Cup
- High Performance Coaching
- High Performance Sport
- Hot Topics
- Olympic Games
- Performance Psychology
- Performance Science
- Skills Development
- Sport and Parenting
- Sports Management
- Teams Development