After the CLOSING ceremony of every Olympic Games, someone should yell out, “let the (real) Games begin”. The real ”GAMES”…………the junkets and fact finding missions the Sporting leaders from most countries embark on to find out what the USA, Germany, Great Britain, South Korea, China and Australia are doing to be successful in the Olympics. The logic seems simple enough. [...]
Tag Archives | Basketball
Here’s how it goes. Your club has had another poor season. People looking for answers come up with a lot of ideas on how to improve next year. The management team determine that what the Club needs is a new high performance facility: new stadium, new meeting rooms, new computer lab, new medical facilities, [...]
Greatness is something that all high performance coaches crave. They pursue it with passion and strive to be considered one of the coaches who achieved success at the highest level of their sport. But what is greatness? Where can you find it? What does it look like? And can you measure it? This article discusses greatness in coaching and presents ten fundamental characteristics of greatness to help every coach realise their potential and fulfil their destiny.
In part one of this article we looked at different types of Sporting Parents. Here are a few more……see if you recognise anyone you know. Republished by Blog Post Promoter Tweet
OK. Let’s talk about how to develop world class coaches. Grab a piece of paper. On one side of the paper, write down the characteristics of a great coach. Does your list include any or all of the following: Outstanding communicator Visionary Leader Innovator Negotiator Conflict resolver Media manager Public relations genius Team developer People [...]
Coaching is creativity. To the successful coaches of the future, creativity will be a core coaching skill: right up there with communication, passion, empathy, commitment, the ability to engage athletes and sports specific technical skill. But what does it mean to be creative and to coach creatively. And to coaches who are not naturally creative, can they learn to be? [...]
I was recently asked to talk to a group of students about high performance sport. We discussed all the “usual” topics: talent identification, sports science, elite coach development and sports medicine. One of the students asked me, “Is there a difference between Medicine (as in general practice medicine) and Sports Medicine as it exists in [...]
The concept of Talent Identification – TID for short - makes sense. Do some standardised testing and screening of lots of kids, find the ones who can run faster, run further, jump longer, stretch better than the rest and bingo- you found talent! It all grew out of the now ”mythical” talent identification systems of the old Eastern [...]
The Greatest Assistant Coaching Article Ever Written (i.e. because we think it’s the only one): 50 of the best Tips on how to be a World Class Assistant Coach.
Behind every great head coach is a great assistant coach. This article presents 50 tips on how to be a great assistant coach with tips and ideas contributed by some of Australia’s leading coaching brains.
Pick My Brain (Search)
- Excelsior: I used to think that toughness training was doing ...
- mgreb: Whenever I start feeling low in energy or belief, ...
- Wayne Goldsmith: Thanks James. With coaching, like so many things,...
- Excelsior: Thanks Wayne, resonates strongly with me. I have r...
- Wayne Goldsmith: Thanks for the "fan-mail". If one coach changes ...
- A Piece of String is Twice as Long as it is from one end to the middle. July 11, 2012
- Coaching without Periodisation November 15, 2012
- Five World Wide Trends in Sport which you ignore at your peril. November 15, 2012
- Sports Coaching in 2030 – Future (coach) Shock – Where will Sports Coaching be in 2030? January 5, 2012
- The Biggest Question in Coaching: How do I get this generation of athletes to work hard? January 30, 2011
- The Commitment Continuum. April 4, 2013
- High Performance Sports Systems – The Non System System. March 27, 2013
- Creative Coaching: Teaching coaches to be Creative and Innovative. March 27, 2013
- 10000 hours to make a champion??? What rubbish! March 27, 2013
- Coaching without Periodisation – Part Two March 27, 2013
- Coach education
- Coaching Tips
- Commonwealth Games
- Crawford report
- Football World Cup
- High Performance Coaching
- High Performance Sport
- Hot Topics
- Olympic Games
- Performance Psychology
- Performance Science
- Skills Development
- Sport and Parenting
- Sports Management
- Teams Development